ReMix, the Student Fur Design Competition hosted by the global International Fur Federation (IFF), takes place annually on a regional basis in the U.S.A., Canada, Asia, Eurasia, and Europe.
Each year, the ReMix Competition provides up-and-coming Student Fur Designers from across the globe an opportunity to showcase their innovative designs to a highly influential, international audience and to receive global exposure across a range of traditional and online media channels.
Over 1,000 students from more than 25 countries have taken part in the competition since its inception over 15 years ago. Previous finalists and winners include Astrid Anderson, a regular at London men’s fashion week; Nicolas Martin Garcia, menswear designer for Roberto Cavalli; Thom Barends, product designer for Haider Ackermann; Sally Bohan, senior designer for Patagonia; and Roderick Buijs, menswear and womenswear designer at Louis Vuitton amongst others.
ReMix is influential as young designers are fearless and adventurous – always working to expand designs for something fresh. They design with their age group in mind. And, in taking it even further, these Student Fur Designers create statement making fur accessories, utilize brightly colored furs in their unique designs, and they cleverly mix both fur textures and fur types in their fashion forward garments. They see no limitations, follow no strict rules, and they know no bounds. Student Fur Designers crave unbridled creativity.
In the process of creating designs, the Student Fur Designers learn about traceability and sustainability as important factors when working with fur and become very well educated in sourcing materials. With the everchanging customer base, it is incumbent on the industry to incorporate their thoughts into how the industry moves forward.
Within the ReMix program, students are also required to provide reasoning as to why they have designed a specific look, thinking from a sustainability mentality through the design process and not just “designing to design.” Along the learning process, students gain an inherent respect for the material. The designers understand that they are artisans and keepers of an age-old product that built America. To them, they’re not just creating a garment for one person, they are creating a sustainable heritage item to be passed down through the generations.
The three most recent Student Fur Design winners of ReMix from the U.S.A. – along with their winning designs are showcased below:
Kylie Rose Carroll
Winning ReMix U.S.A. Student Fur Designers receive a host of benefits, including:
- Worldwide exposure and a chance to compete in the ReMix Global completion held at MiFur, the prestigious international fur fashion trade show held yearly in Milan, Italy.
- The chance to win cash prizes.
- Opportunity to work hands-on with renowned designers, manufacturers and retailers to gain valuable experience, access and exposure within the fur industry.
- Inclusion in an extensive public relations campaign and promotion of winning sketch and garment throughout the U.S.A.
- Exposure in leading international fashion magazines – previously Vogue Italia and US. – along with extensive PR campaign throughout the U.S.A.
- Inclusion in extensive media promotion throughout the US (winning students)
- Possibility of attending the Fur Europe/Hellenic Fur Federation Summer Program held in Kastoria, Greece; or possibility of attending the SAGA Furs Design Program in Denmark.
To verify eligibility for the ReMix U.S.A. Student Fur Design Competition, contact the Fashion Department Chair at your Design School, or email AFC at [email protected] with questions.